“Doctors won’t make you healthy. Nutritionists won’t make you slim. Teachers won’t make you smart. Gurus won’t make you calm. Mentors won’t make you rich. Trainers won’t make you fit. Ultimately, you have to take responsibility. Save yourself.”
– Naval Ravikant
Your health is your wealth. The current state of medical innovation is healing from within. With the advent of stem cell therapy and orthobiologics, mechanisms are in place to enable the body to heal itself in instances of immunocompromise, or any damage due to physical stresses like cuts. A normal healthy body, will naturally be resistant to diseases. Studies have shown that a balanced diet , or a predominantly plant based diet has led to the utmost in health. With respect to the current global pandemic, one way to ease the mind and protect ourselves is to ensure that we are a state where our immunities are at peak. Let us delve into a few superfoods that are proven to be effective in healing the body. As a start, juicing daily is one way to boost your health. A recipe is included in this article for a reference. You will notice considerable skin clarity, and resistance to colds and flus. At best, daily vitamins can help you to maintain peak health.
Increasing your Vitamin Intake
Vitamin C is often the first resort once people think of reducing the effects of a pending cold. Taken in either the fizzy pill form, tablets or via natural methods such as orange juice and cherry juice, the effects will definitely be noticeable. Where possible drink cherry juice instead of orange juice. Cherry juice is scientifically proven to have up to five times the Vitamin C of Orange juice. With the ability to significantly boost your immune system, your white blood cell count will increase with the presence of Vitamin C. As one of the body’s health enablers, the white blood cells will be able to facilitate the healing process in the instance of any pending illness. Where possible, plant your own citrus trees and enjoy the fruit year round, or purchase from your local grocery store grapefruit, oranges, tangerines, lemons, limes and clementines.
To start your day, you can drink one glass of lime water. Fill your glass with half warm, half cold water and then squeeze in some limes. This will instantly wake up your immune system and keep you boosted across the day.
Greens are the key to a multitude of health benefits. From the ability to maintain a healthy digestive system to immunity boosts, there are many vegetable superfoods that are able to facilitate the healing of the body. Ingesting vegetables such as red bell peppers, which have twice as much Vitamin C as citrus fruits will enable you to boost your immunity and stay healthy and well. Ingesting superfoods such as broccoli, spinach and even celery will ensure that your body is supercharged with vitamins and minerals.
Broccoli is rich in vitamins A, C and E and is known to have antioxidant properties. Eaten raw or parboiled, you will achieve the maximum health benefits from this vegetable.
Another best kept secret…is garlic. You can incorporate this into your diet. As an anti-fungal, when ingested, garlic will be able to maintain your internal pH. Garlic also can improve the health of your arteries.
Many of us utilize ginger when we have a stomach ache or nausea. Whether it’s in the form of a processed food like a ginger ale, or boiled as a tea, ginger is the ultimate healer. As an anti-inflammatory agent, ginger soothes the internal digestive system, and also helps to boost immunity in the process.
IMMUNITY BOOSTING SMOOTHIE
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 large ripe banana (previously peeled, sliced and frozen // more for a sweeter smoothie)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger (peeled // 1 small knob yields ~1/2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (or sub cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (1/2 small lemon yields ~1 Tbsp or 15 ml)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make carrot juice by adding carrots and filtered water to a high speed blender and blending on high until completely pureed and smooth. Add more water if it has trouble blending / scrape down sides as needed.
- Drape a large, thin dish towel over a mixing bowl and pour over the juice. Then lift up on the corners of the towel and begin twisting and squeezing the juice out until all of the liquid is extracted. Set aside pulp for smoothies, or baked goods (such as carrot muffins).
- Transfer carrot juice to a mason jar – will keep for several days, though best when fresh.
- To the blender add smoothie ingredients and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more carrot juice or almond milk if it has trouble blending. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more banana or pineapple for sweetness, lemon for acidity, ginger for bite, and turmeric for warmth.
- Divide between two glasses (as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) and serve. Best when fresh.
There are a variety of smoothie options that are able to meet your health needs. With a little research, you can identify combinations that will work well for your dietary needs. If you’re just getting started, don’t be intimidated. Via utilizing what you already have in your refrigerator and blending it, you will be in a good position to keep your body and immunity up. Don’t be surprised if you have much more energy than before too. As you eat foods that are naturally based, your body will be better able to manage them and it will respond much more favorably.